Most of the Indian wedding photographers have websites. The majority of these websites are on WordPress. They use SEO friendly WordPress templates, which takes care of basic SEO needs.
The idea behind choosing a WordPress template is to look for a visually appealing template. They rarely look for how it is reviewed as per SEO standards or how mobile-friendly they are. Whether it is photography or any other business, if you are online your website needs to look good to your customers as well as Google.
SEO makes it google friendly and appealing to customers. Actually, both of them are connected. If you use ethical SEO, it is going to attract clients as well as Google. I have noticed a lot of Indian wedding photographers, knowingly or unknowingly making basic SEO mistakes. You don’t have to be genius to avoid basic SEO mistakes.
I am not an SEO expert or SEO Guru to give you advanced SEO tips. I will try to share whatever I have learned in the past 8-9 years while actively maintaining my own website. This is no way a comprehensive guide to SEO basics. But if you take care of important but basic SEO mistakes, you will not only rank better on Google. Your content will look good to your website visitor and google.
1. Keyword Stuffing: The keyword stuffing is one of the most common mistake photographers are doing. They are doing every post for Google. To achieve this, they are forcefully using keywords so that the post looks like targeting that keyword. But if you read that post as a normal user, it will look like a very amateur post. I have a very basic rule – if it doesn’t look good to a human, it won’t look good to the Google. I will give you a very simple example. Let’s say you are Chennai based wedding photographer. So one of your target keywords would be a wedding photographer in Chennai. But that doesn’t mean you start using this keyword in every blog post or multiple times in the same blog post. It will look fishy and a novice to your readers as well as to Google.
Don’t underestimate the algorithms of Google. They are smart enough to see such manipulative tricks. The Google will understand and will rank you lower. It can even impose some penalties. Google wants to push content which is useful to people. Do you really think such keyword stuffing will help the article? If the answer is no, then why are you expecting Google to show the post to its users? We go to Google because we know Google will give us relevant articles. Google is constantly working on improving its search results. Google will only support the content which helps them and its users.
2. Random Link Building: The random link building is also quite common among many photographers. Either they are doing it themselves or they are hiring freelance SEO services from individuals or agencies. They do provide search services at cheap rates but they are not helping your cause. They may complete your daily or monthly targets of link building but this is going to affect you negatively. Link backs from credible websites are going to give you positive results. Link backs from directories or fishy-looking advertising platforms are going to impact you negatively.
Now imagine a scenario where you see an advertisement for a brand on a website which doesn’t look very authentic. What impression will you make for such brand? This is exactly how Google’s algorithm works. So getting all those link backs from shady websites is not going to help you. These websites have been created for the sole purpose of link building. Too many such backlinks can attract even a penalty. So make sure you avoid such techniques or even agencies which promote such things. It is one of the easiest ways to judge the credibility of the SEO agency or SEO freelancer.
3. Share Key Details: I understand wedding photography is all about pictures. As a wedding photographer, we want to share our work in the form of pictures. Always make your blog post a combination of pictures as well as text. Write about the wedding all your experience as a wedding photographer at that particular wedding. Again think like a visitor on your website rather than a photographer. Imagine what a bride would like to see in the blog post. It will always be a lot of pictures and details about the wedding. The details could be the venue, the brand name of the outfit, the name of the makeup artist, wedding planner’s name, etc. The idea of your blog post should be to help the visitor and not just self-promotion. If the brides will love your post, Google will automatically love it. When a visitor spends time on your website or on your article, Google feels that your article is relevant and is useful to its users. So it will push your article on its search engine.
4. Internal and Outbound Links: Links are the backbone of Google. Links are like the connection from one piece of information to the other. You need to have few internal and external links. But make sure you don’t overdo just to make Google happy. Google Finance you are unnecessarily using links it is going to affect your standing on Google search. Whenever you are writing a blog post always find one or two links to your old blog post and/or link to other websites or articles. Make sure all these links are relevant and or of high quality. You should always link to a credible source of information. Just the way we want it in real life. As wedding photographers, we generally don’t write big blog posts. So in that case, we should be mindful of the number of internal or outbound links.
5. Mobile Friendly: We all are living in the era of smartphones. As per Google, the majority of traffic is coming from mobile phones. So it would be a big mistake if our website is not mobile friendly. A mobile-friendly website not only helps you in SEO but also helps your visitors go through your content hassle-free. If you don’t have a mobile version of your website, your SEO is bound to suffer. Most of the WordPress templates are by default mobile friendly. Make sure you specifically look for this option before choosing a template.
6. The Speed Of Website: Imagine you open a website and it is taking time to open. The chances are you might close the window and open some other website. It’s very rare for us to actually wait for the website to open. We generally tend to wait for those websites which are very popular or when we are sure of what we are looking for. But if a website has been referred by Google search, and it doesn’t open up all takes time to open. We are surely not going to wait for it to open. It will be a frustrating experience for the visitor. Google cares a lot about the user experience. And if your website is not providing an ideal experience, it would not rank you higher on Google. Whether you are visitor is using the standard version or a mobile version of your website, it needs to have a decent speed. The faster it opens, the better it is.
In my opinion, if you take care of the above 6 tips, you will surely rank better on Google. These above are quite basic mistakes, but I have seen them being regularly repeated. Whatever you post online, always think from the perspective of the visitor or end user. If you can take care of this whenever you post something. It is surely going to get noticed by the brides as well as Google. Do you have any of your favorite basic SEO tips which I have not mentioned here? Please share it in the comments section. Do let me know your thoughts on the topic of SEO.